I just love our negotiation class, which I have chosen as an elective!
- How to understand your own objectives and interests as well as your own negotiation style.
- How to discover the opposite party’s interests, values, motives, underlying assumptions and goals.
- How to find as many win-win solutions as possible and how to properly evaluate each of them.
- How to prepare for negotiation, so it’s a success.
- How to ensure that the agreement will not be breached.
- And many-many other essential how-tos.
Not only that, the style of this class is very engaging – we hardly sit and take notes, in fact, we only do during movies-watching. Yes, we watch movies with Roger Fisher an his team – it’s a real-life negotiation in action that we can observe and assess to make our own conclusions about the pros and the cons of each negotiation.
We also negotiate with our peers different agreements from case-studies. We prepare a plan for each exercise and then practice. Practice is the most interesting part as you literally live your role while negotiating, even though it’s just a class 🙂 People get stressed, too 🙂 I love it!
What it helped me to accomplish is that we moved to a new place with my family and had no microwave. I was able to negotiate with the office here, so that we are getting a microwave this week!
I will share with you more about this elective in the future posts. Stay with me!