In the previous post, I shared with you about SMART goals. This time, I want to explain how a mentor or coach can help you achieve your career-goals, part of which can be preparing and enrolling on Professional MBA program at Robinson.
A mentor, coach, trusted friend or maybe even your current boss who wants you to move up in your company – all can be called accountability partners (AP). Having an accountability partner increases the likelihood that you will do what you say when you say you’ll do it in terms of achieving your SMART career-goal. Why? Because of the following five benefits your accountability partner provides.
1. Attention. When you get an AP, you get the essential attention to your goal. It’s like making a public commitment to something - you’re now not alone in your desire to succeed anymore (your AP desires your success as well). Making a public commitment to achieving a goal is a very powerful way to follow through.
2. Motivation. This is that extra push you need to get started. It is also that extra push you need when daily life happens and tries to take you back to the same old routine. You can reach out to your AP for that extra encouragement, so you can start and keep moving forward.
3. Information. AP can be a source of information for you when you lack knowledge or experience in some areas. Also, sometimes we just don’t really know what it is that we don’t know. Thoughtful questions from your AP can help you figure out what it is that you don’t know. Obtaining that extra information will help you stay clear, focused and relevant in achieving your S.M.A.R.T. goal.
4. Ideation. It’s nice to have an AP when you’re stuck and not sure how to proceed further. Brainstorming together can take your success in achieving your S.M.A.R.T. goal to the next level.
5. Inspiration. When you make a huge progress and are excited about the results you’ve achieved, your AP is a perfect person to share that excitement with. It will help you create even more inspiration for even greater future results.
Setting S.M.A.R.T. goals and finding a reliable accountability partner to help you follow through is a great way to differentiate yourself and achieve your desired career goals.